My photo

"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." Anne Sexton 

Heather Brager is a critically acclaimed juggler of calamity, an accomplished procrastinator, and shuffler of idioms. Her poetry and drawings can be found in various digital and print journals around the globe, and on the web.  She currently resides in New England and prefers the precipice of where the Atlantic meets the sand to the official looking office where she spends most of her time. 

Monday, July 1, 2013

the bends.



I probably shouldn’t have
kissed your mouth, but
distances kept disappearing
I could hear the path of
your eyes tracing
my hands and legs,
my lungs exhaled
their grasp on death,
a former life I clutched
for so many wasted years

you said I seemed aloof
about my drawings
pieces of myself crammed
inside of a box
abandoned and crumpled
you said I was beautiful
and it was just too intense
for a fleeting second, I thought
I should make you leave

© 7.1.13 heather brager