My photo

"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." Anne Sexton 

Heather Brager is a critically acclaimed juggler of calamity, an accomplished procrastinator, and shuffler of idioms. Her poetry and drawings can be found in various digital and print journals around the globe, and on the web.  She currently resides in New England and prefers the precipice of where the Atlantic meets the sand to the official looking office where she spends most of her time. 

Monday, April 4, 2011

lessons.

when I was twelve or thirteen years old
I had a savings account
dollars pocketed watching neighbor’s kids

there were the two who locked me in their bedroom
and ate an entire box of jell-o pudding pops
while I climbed out of the window
to pound on the door across the alley

I bought new guess? jeans with the cash
saving all summer just so I could fit in
be one of the admired girls in school
they had football player boyfriends
and wore lipgloss and their mom’s mascara

but I drew pictures with pencils
and scribbled in a notebook
read catcher in the rye
and wore my dad’s army fatigue jacket
with hand-me-down running shoes

once I was cornered in the hallway
against the orange painted lockers
she was a full head taller
wore a pissed off grimace
and glittering blue eyeshadow

she vowed to kick my ass
and told everyone I called her names
while I looked her in the eye
and the truth is I tried to turn away
but somehow I couldn’t

I still don’t know why
she thought I was one of the popular girls

© 4.4.11 heather brager


No comments:

Post a Comment