My photo

"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." Anne Sexton 

Heather Brager is a critically acclaimed juggler of calamity, an accomplished procrastinator, and shuffler of idioms. Her poetry and drawings can be found in various digital and print journals around the globe, and on the web.  She currently resides in New England and prefers the precipice of where the Atlantic meets the sand to the official looking office where she spends most of her time. 

Monday, March 29, 2010

A simple matter of physics.

it began as many things do
with a sharp intake of breath
possibility fluttering about
and the silent, irrational utterance
of cynical language

it began as a notion dodging
through an inner space
packed full of wasted remnants
fickle mysticism, ten o’clock news
and useless constraint

it began with no precise need
for a compass, or a map
for the odometer’s calculated speed
or a thermometer’s
measured heat

it simply began
because every good story
wishes its quintessence
and every action
must be set into motion

2 comments:

  1. I've had written thoughts that went in the same I think the meaning of this poem goes...
    Is it merely because I am reading through the glasses of my experience? Don't know...
    Be that as it may, I feel empathy when I read this.
    I suspect most people who have tried writing of one kind or another would...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alesa, I never received notification of most of your comments and am just reading this now, almost two years later!

    Yes, empathy...

    I always remember precisely what I was feeling and why at the time I write a poem.

    ReplyDelete