Monday, December 29, 2014

gravity always wins.




pluck the imitation bird from the branches
with stinging fingers,
smelling sickeningly of flowers

the tentative winter, wretched and floundering
clips your wings and the decrepit limbs
cracking loose, losing only to reach skyward

slumped low, sewing unbearable wounds
to wounds, and to the wounds
breathing fetid and discarded things
we walk away from ourselves
a recurrence, the approaching
steps echoing through a hallway
with a likeness of the way out,

just pluck me from the branch.


© 12.29.2014 heather brager 

3 comments:

  1. ewing unbearable wounds
    to wounds, and to the wounds
    breathing fetid and discarded things
    we walk away from ourselves

    Your imagery and tone always hit a nerve of recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to consider myself as one who refuses to give up without a fight. Eventually I came to realize, that was never the case. I just never came to terms with the notion of giving up.
    I refuse to concede. Call it an inherent character flaw...

    I enjoyed reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete