My photo

"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." Anne Sexton 

Heather Brager is a critically acclaimed juggler of calamity, an accomplished procrastinator, and shuffler of idioms. Her poetry and drawings can be found in various digital and print journals around the globe, and on the web.  She currently resides in New England and prefers the precipice of where the Atlantic meets the sand to the official looking office where she spends most of her time. 

Thursday, March 29, 2012

small town bliss.

I try not to visibly wince
as my eyes wrestle against
tracking the faux-blonde
as she bobbles and sways
across the floor
a cheap demonstration
with men stupidly ogling
her tacky heels clacking in time
with the jangle
of the gold tone buckles
on her leopard print bag
the size of Toledo
I recognize her stale perfume
it hovers above the
smell of roast coffee
mother of the little snot nosed brat
who spat at my son
last week on the playground
I know her Escalade is parked out front
boxing in my car
and I’ll try not to leave
black paint on her bumper


© 3.29.12 heather brager

3 comments:

  1. Bravo. And, oh so right on the money... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you a lot. Worry. Miss your smile and quick wit nw

    ReplyDelete