Monday, February 21, 2011

point of contention.

on these empty roads
my tax dollars recently
widened from A to B
I have traveled often past
an abandoned gas station
the lanes curving sharply
to the left after signs warn
to slow down to 30 mph

that little ghost town is
blanketed in western dust
broken windows are grimy openings
to wandering souls
where no one looks outside

there is a gravel turn off
and a scenic view of
some snowy peak
I can’t recall names
mayflies and gnats whisper
in muffled hisses
urging me back into the car
to continue on my way
and stop disturbing
their deserted air

sometimes there is a destination
with signs showing
where to enter and depart
when I get lost by chance
maybe I will pause
engine idle and music low
to plan my return route
considering every path there
and possible detours


© heather brager 2.21.2011


2 comments: